Food Plan Friday - July 27

MealBoard
Well, it's been a few weeks since I've been able to post a Food Plan, but in the mean time I've been playing with a new app to help me with the process. It's called MealBoard, and I'd say it's more than worth the $1.99 to load it on my iPad!

It's got a feature that allows me to not only plan meals and snacks for whatever time frame I wish, but I can download recipes from quite a good number of recipe sites. (It's missing some of my go-to's like www.cookingchanneltv.com and www.rachaelraymag.com ). In addition, it will populate a grocery list for you based on your meal plan that you can edit, add to and delete from. There are templates you can set up so that if you find a string of meals that the family loved, you can repeat it at any time. Plus, once the grocery list is ready, you can email it to yourself, print it out and be off. Or, if you have the app on your iPhone, you can check off the items on your phone as you go. (I'm buying an iPhone this week!!!)

It does take some time to set up initially, since none of my go-to recipes are pre-loaded. So, as I'm creating my meal plan and I want to use a recipe that's not yet in the system, it's taking a little longer than usual to make it all happen. The other challenge I have is that not all recipes use the same unit of measure for ingredients or they use different terms, so my grocery list will have the same item listed multiple times. Garlic is a perfect example. One recipe might call for garlic - 4 cloves. Another asks for "head of garlic." So on my list, garlic is listed twice. Fortunately, I can go in and edit line items so that they are all listed as garlic cloves (or whatever I decide on) and therefore will only appear once on my list. Then there are things like green onions vs. scallions. Lemon vs. fresh lemon and things like that. I feel that over time, as I add to the recipes and edit recipes to reflect my own terminology, these issues will go away.

An additional advantage is that now, since I can email the grocery list, I'll be including it here for you. And here we go:

Day 1 - Olympic Opening Ceremony Party: Pick up Pizza

Day 2 - Stuffed Chicken Breast (I add sliced mushrooms to the stuffing) and Green Salad

Day 3 - London Broil with Soy Citrus Mayonnaise; South Beach Cauliflower Mash With Chives

Day 4 - Kittencal's Italian Melt-In-Your-Mouth Meatballs; Properly Prepared Spaghetti Squash

Day 5 - Fresh Basil Corn SaladJane Fox's Famous Tortilla Soup

Day 6 - Traditional Beef Burritos (I sub taco seasoning for all the spices)

Day 7 - Garlic Quinoa; No Peeking Peking Chicken

And here's the grocery list (I excluded things like salt and pepper):

Bread and Bakery
breadcrumbs  1/3 cup
corn tortillas, 12
(10 inch) flour tortillas, 4

Canned Goods
black olives
canned diced tomatoes with green chiles, 15 oz
chicken broth, 16 cups
fat-free refried black beans, 2/3 (16 ounce) can

Dairy
butter (melted), 1/2 cup
feta cheese, 1 cup
finely shredded Mexican cheese blend, 1 cups
large egg, 1
milk, gallon
parmesan cheese, 1/2 cup
queso fresco
sour cream, 1 1/2 cup

Meat
chicken breasts, 6
chicken thighs, 8
ground beef, 1.5 + 2/3 lbs
top-round London broil (1 to 1 1/2 inches thick), 1 2/3 to 3 lb

Oils & Dressings
cider vinegar, 3 tablespoons
extra virgin olive oil, 3 tablespoons
mayonnaise, 2/3 cup
soy sauce, 1/4 cup

Pasta/Rice/Beans
quinoa, 1 cup

Produce
(16 ounce) spinach (frozen works great), 1
avocados, 2
bunch scallions, 1 2/3
cauliflower, 3/4 lbs
cilantro leaves, handful
dried parsley (2 Tbsp), or 1/4 cup chopped fresh parsley
ears corn, 5
fresh basil, 1/2 cup
fresh chives, 1 teaspoons
fresh lemon juice, 1/6 cup
fresh orange juice, 2/9 cup
garlic cloves, 22 1/6
jalapeƱo peppers, 1
limes, 2
mushrooms, 1/2 cup
onion, 2 1/6 cup
salad fixin's
shallot, 2
spaghetti squash, 1

Sauces & Spices
chili powder, 2 tbsp
dried oregano (optional, 1/2 teaspoon
fine-quality fermented soy sauce*, 1/2 cup
ground cumin, 1 tbsp
salsa
taco seasoning, 2/3 packet

Alcohol
dry red wine, 1/3 cup
I'd love your feedback on MealBoard, these recipes, the grocery list or your suggestions for family friendly, low carb meals. Bon appetit!

Popular Posts