My Most Important Appointment

My husband and I made the life-altering decision of switching from daycare to a full-time nanny in August of this year. There were many reasons: the fact that he and I both travel for work and may occasionally need someone to fill in the gaps if we're both away at the same time, the occasional challenge of daycare only being available until 6:30 p.m. at the latest, the higher likelihood of a child being sick and not having a childcare back-up option, and the unexpected feelings of anxiety I was experiencing of leaving 3-month-old Bunny in a room full of other, older, more mobile babies.  (I hadn't felt as anxious when Beads was that tiny.)

In many ways, I felt my decision was really about Bunny. But after a few months of our care giver being in full force, I realize the decision has most impacted Beads. Positively. I hadn't expected that. But after over 4 years in daycare, it has been an education for her and for us as parents on what our 1st baby needs.

One of those needs, I've learned, is concentrated time with me. (I know many of you are thinking, "Well, duh!")

A common misconception of working from home is that you can have it all: time with your family and working on projects. This is not at all the case. I know many home officers can identify with my schedule of walking to the home office, closing the door, and not emerging for 4 hours, grabbing lunch and a refill of tea from the kitchen, and then sequestering myself in my office once more for another 4-5 hours. That's the way it is. But in order to gain more balance in home and work life, I've scheduled in the most important meeting of my life 3 days a week. These meetings are 10 minutes long. But their impact is priceless.

My Most Important Appointment
Lately, she's been asking to have a cup of tea with me. (I love that!) She guzzles it and then wants to sit on the little loveseat in my office with me and draw pictures. Sometimes we draw our own. Sometimes we take turns on the same picture, adding this and that to what the other has drawn. It's a quick meeting. But it's just the two of us. We can talk about whatever she wants. When the 10 minutes are up, she gives me a hug and a kiss and skips out of the office, always offering to close the door for me. She is rejuvenated. Happy. Special. And of course, so am I.

Popular Posts