How to Dress for Home Office Success

"Wow! You look great! Where did you have to go today?" 

These are the words that completely changed my work life about 10 years ago.

What caught my husband's eye when he came home from work that day? 

Well... I had showered and washed, dried, and styled my hair. I was wearing jeans and a casual, but clean, top. I may have slicked some Vaseline on my chapped lips. In other words, I was not in my usual home office attire: yoga pants, loose sweatshirt, pony tail. The thing is, I didn't have to go anywhere that day. 

Yes, I had put some effort in preparing for the day, and, interestingly, I felt satisfied in a way that I had not for quite some time. I had been really productive and focused all day. My interactions felt more animated and engaged during my conference calls. 

It was in that moment - seeing and hearing my husband's reaction and realizing how such a small investment in self-care had positively impacted my whole day - that I decided I needed to start dressing for home office success.

As someone who has worked from home for 12+ years, I am all-too-familiar with the temptation to cut self-care down to a minimum in order to keep all of the other moving parts, well, moving. Pulling on pj pants or yoga pants, throwing my hair in a messy bun, not showering until noon... it didn't seem like a big deal. One less thing to find time for. One less "to-do" each morning. In fact, for awhile it felt luxurious to not have to care.

But then to get such a HUGE reaction to simply being showered and dressed in clean clothes, I had to admit that there was nothing noble in being a sloppy joe. I was being lazy, plain and simple.  

It's All About the Presentation

Science has proven that forcing yourself to smile actually does make you feel happier and decreases stress. I'd make the same argument that forcing yourself to dress for work does make you feel more focused and increases productivity. It's a morning ritual followed by office workers around the world, getting them into a state of mind that it's time to go to work.  
"People engage in rituals with the intention of achieving a wide set of desired outcomes, from reducing their anxiety to boosting their confidence, alleviating their grief to performing well in a competition."  - Why Rituals Work
As a home office worker, this morning ritual is just as important and just as effective.  Those steps of transitioning from what you slept in to what you'll work in, the act of getting rid of that bed head and purposefully being satisfied with what you see in the mirror, these are steps intended to get you in a state of mind that it's time to go to work. 

I'm admittedly a jeans and tank top kind of girl, so please understand that I'm not asking you to put on heels and pearls (unless that's your thing). Here are some general criteria I consider when I'm getting dressed for the day:

  • Would I feel comfortable meeting my husband or friend for lunch in these clothes?
  • What would my confidence level be if I ran into a client or industry peer at the grocery store?
  • If my webcam turned on during a team or client conference call, would anyone (including me) be uncomfortable with what they saw?
Hair and makeup doesn't have to be Academy Award-winning, either. A neat and tidy low ponytail can look very put together. Mascara and tinted lip gloss cover a multitude of sins. Have a go-to, low maintenance look that you can finish in 10 minutes. Those 10 minutes in the morning will pay off in hours of increased focus and productivity.

He'll Appreciate It, Too

As a full-time working wife and mother, it's extremely easy to fall into a routine of tasks and schedules. Conversations with the husband are less about hopes, dreams, and aspirations and more about the kids' bowel movements and figuring out if we achieved enough minutes for the 2nd grader's weekly reading log. 

I know I appreciate it when I see my husband put in a little extra effort: that random text that he's thinking about me, or smuggling a bar of chocolate past the kids into our room to share while we're watching Netflix. The fact that he REALLY noticed that one day that I put a little effort into my appearance was a healthy wake up call that he still LIKED what he saw. And I liked that he liked what he saw. We're married! That's one of the many benefits of being married - enjoying our partner. One way we can show that we care is to not completely give up on our own appearance.  A little effort goes a long way. And you know something? He's worth the effort! And so am I, frankly.

Try It. You'll Like It.

You can take my word for it, or you can try it and see what happens. Here's what to do:

1. Pick a Test Day
Put it on your calendar and allow an extra 30 minutes dedicated to getting ready for the work day. Maybe you wake up 30 minutes earlier than usual, or maybe you take time from some other morning ritual, like scrolling through the news or social media. The important thing is to make the decision and stick to it.

2. Decide How High the Bar Is
Is the criteria simply that you and your clothes are clean? Or do you want to be put together enough that you could meet someone for lunch (even if it's just the local fish taco or sandwich place)? Have a level that you're aiming for. It will help you make decisions about what clothes you wear and how much time and effort you'll put into hair and make-up. 

3. Be Intentional About the Start of Your Work Day
On the test day, once you've put yourself together, make the mental note that you are now beginning your work day. You got ready for work, and now you are going to work. It's a small detail, granted. But it matters.

4. Note How the Day Goes
If it comes to mind, notice what the day is like compared to your typical work day. What is your level of productivity? What are your meetings like? How is your general mood? Is it business as usual? Is it better? Is it worse? How are others responding to you (whether they can see you or not)? Make some actual notes about what you liked or didn't like. 

5. How Does the Family Respond?
Did they notice? What did they say? How did their response make you feel?

The option of not dressing up every day is a great benefit of working from home, but "not dressing up" doesn't have to mean dressing like a college student during finals week. How you present yourself to the world is a reflection of the work you contribute to the world. 

I'm willing to predict that by putting specific effort into your personal appearance, not only will you have an added sense of confidence, you'll feel a little more focused, be a little more productive, and maybe feel a little more motivated to get out of the house and do something fun with the family!

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

What Works For Me - Guest blog by Tami B.

Guest Blog: Confessions of a Working Mom-aholic

5 Steps to Being a Carpool Queen