Recharging in the Micro Moments


I read something recently about becoming aware of the "micro stressors" in our day, like not being able to find the tween's favorite face mask (hello 2021), or the 8-year-old suddenly finding it necessary to crawl into bed with me every night around 3 a.m., or the computer deciding to reboot exactly 2 minutes before the Zoom meeting with our top client's Executive Team. *sigh* 

We have a lot of those micro stressors, and they tend to build up into just plain old continuous stress. The inconvenience of that, however, is that we don't necessarily have access to our usual activities or go-to indulgences to recharge and relax. I, for one, am craving a vacation beyond a lap around a different neighborhood. I'd love a romantic dinner inside our favorite Laguna Beach restaurant. Or a huge Super Bowl party with friends and kids and shared chip bowls and all! Ok, maybe I'm never going to look at a shared chip bowl again. But, you get it. 

So, to combat the micro stressors, I asked our community of Home Officers what they are doing to recharge in the micro moments. 

While many of us can relate to Leeza J.:

The DJ on the radio said we needed to take a moment to count to three and have a quick breath. That was my free time for the day.

or Tami H.: 

I lock myself in my bathroom occasionally… 

(Same, Girl!)

There were also some great steal-worthy tactics:

Waking up an hour earlier to get ready, have some FaceTime with friends, and a cup of coffee in the dark... quietly – Miriam D.

I’ve been going for a run with the babies in the stroller. It’s the only time they stay quiet, and I can have time to collect my thoughts. Oh, and of course my glass of wine once they go down. – Whitney G.

Many Home Officers are getting their steps in or getting a change of scene, even if it's just out the back door...  

Walks throughout the day. Family and/or dog optional. Becky D.

Up early taking walks, staying up too late reading. – Megan M.

Long dog walks, reading in my back yard... – Jill R. 

Yoga in my backyard using the Peloton app. – Julie V.

And how about some phenomenal micro multi-tasking moments: 

Listening to a book while cooking. – Paige G.

I BLAST music in my noise cancelling air pods and do chores. If I can't be productive at work, at least I can dance around cleaning the floors in a good mood! – Kelly D.

And this one really made me think about how I can be more mindful of my own surroundings and appreciate the good that's happening right next door: 

Listening to my neighbor playing scales on his piano. He's getting really good! – Elsie B.

It's impossible to know what the world and our schedules will look like in the next month or even the next year, but we do know that stress - micro and otherwise - is a part of this journey called life. We may not have an hour to go get a massage or have access to your Orange Theory gym just yet, but we can still take care of ourselves in those little pockets of time. 

Me? I'm going to go brew some loose leaf tea and watch the tea leaves unfurl. It will take 3 and a half minutes. I'll feel a little bit calmer. 

What are you doing to recharge in your micro moments? I'd love to hear more ideas!  

Join us on FacebookInstagram, and Twitter!

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

What Works For Me - Guest blog by Tami B.

Guest Blog: Confessions of a Working Mom-aholic

5 Steps to Being a Carpool Queen